Seasoned Vehicle Collision Lawyers Serving Spring Hill
An unexpected hazard on the road can cause a driver to swerve or brake suddenly and crash into other vehicles, pedestrians, or structures. The car accident attorneys at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC are seasoned professionals who can help you if you were hurt in a car crash in or around the Spring Hill area. Our firm handles all types of car crash cases, including those caused by road hazards. We can investigate your claim and seek to hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries.
Road Hazards in Florida
Car accidents are sometimes caused by unexpected and dangerous objects or road conditions. Some examples of road hazards commonly found on Florida roads and highways include:
- Debris, such as cargo from an improperly loaded truck or material from a construction zone.
- Trees or other shrubbery that blocks a driver’s path or line of sight.
- Construction zones, which can reduce the width of a lane or place workers in the path of oncoming traffic.
- Uneven road conditions, such as potholes or other wear-and-tear.
Drivers should remain alert and drive with caution if they are aware of a road hazard. When a road hazard causes an accident, a victim may have a claim against the driver or the party responsible for causing the dangerous condition.
Liability for Collisions Caused by Dangerous Road Conditions
Road hazard accidents are usually the result of someone else’s negligence. Victims of an accident have the right to hold responsible parties liable for the harm that they caused. To hold a defendant liable in a personal injury claim, a victim would have to show that the defendant’s negligence caused the crash. In many road hazard accidents, the negligent party is the driver of the vehicle that struck the victim.
An accident victim must show the following elements to prove negligence:
- Duty of care – A driver must exercise reasonable care under the circumstances. For example, a reasonable motorist driving through a construction zone would slow down and keep an eye out for workers or debris.
- Breach of the duty – The driver must have failed to exercise care. A distracted driver may not notice road debris in time to avoid colliding with it, or a driver may swerve suddenly into another lane of traffic.
- Causation – The driver’s breach must have caused the victim’s injuries.
- Damages – There must be actual damages, such as medical bills.
Some road hazard crashes may also lead to premises liability cases. If a pothole caused a vehicle to crash, for example, the local municipality may be responsible for failing to maintain the road. If a tree limb suddenly fell on the road, the owner of the property where the tree is located may be liable for the accident. This is because property owners have a duty to keep their premises free from dangerous conditions, including those that extend from their property and pose a foreseeable risk of harm to others.
Road hazard accidents sometimes involve more than one negligent party, including the victim in some cases. You can recover compensation for your injuries even if you are partly responsible for the crash. Florida permits a victim to receive damages in proportion to his or her degree of fault. In other words, you can get compensation for your injuries even if you are mostly responsible for causing them. If two or more parties are liable for your injuries, each party is responsible for its own negligence. Florida will not allow you to hold one defendant responsible for the negligence of all the parties.
Compensation for Injuries
Car accident injuries often require extensive medical care and treatment. You can seek compensation for your hospital and medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. Florida has a four-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. If you do not file in time, you may lose your right to compensation.
Legal Representation for Your Injuries
The North Tampa car crash lawyers at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC offer seasoned legal representation to car accident victims. Our attorneys bring more than 50 years of combined experience to provide you with the representation you need in your case. We will work toward getting the compensation that is fair for your injuries, whether through settlement or in the courtroom. Call us today at (866) 597-0009 or complete our online form for a consultation.