Spring Hill Attorneys for Dangerous Product Injuries
No one expects to be injured by a consumer product, but products sold on the market can cause serious harm to their unsuspecting users. The defective product lawyers at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC offer aggressive legal representation to individuals throughout North Tampa who have been injured by a wide variety of products. We have more than 50 years of combined experience advocating for personal injury victims. Our seasoned attorneys can help you assert your right to compensation if a dangerous product caused you harm.
Thousands of consumers and bystanders are injured each year by dangerous products. A defect in a product can make it so dangerous as to threaten the safety of its users. Defects in a product that can make them potentially dangerous, or even deadly, include:
- Cars and car components – An improperly designed or manufactured car or its components, such as brakes or tires, can result in a car accident. A defective seatbelt or airbag also may cause a driver or passenger to suffer serious injuries.
- Swimming pools – Submersion injuries or drowning often result from defects in a swimming pool. A dangerous swimming pool drain, for example, can cause suction entrapment, which can lead to severe injuries to internal organs and death.
- Toys and other child products – Defective toys, cribs, car seats and other child-related products often lead to recalls, but this is usually after a number of children already have been injured by the product.
- Medical devices – Defects in a surgically implanted device can cause even more harm to an already vulnerable patient.
Manufacturers have a responsibility to consumers to place safe products into the stream of commerce. When a product is unreasonably dangerous, an injured user in Florida can take action against the manufacturer.
Product Liability Law in Florida
Product manufacturers can be held liable for injuries caused by their defective products. There are several theories of liability under which an injured person can hold a product manufacturer liable for a dangerous product, but strict liability and negligence form the basis for many of these claims.
A product manufacturer can be held strictly liable for injuries if, because of a design or manufacturing defect, the product was unreasonably dangerous to a consumer when it left the manufacturer’s possession. A consumer would have to prove that the product had either a manufacturing or design defect, which are defined as follows:
- Manufacturing defect – The defect occurs in the assemblage or production of the product. Manufacturing defects often affect only a small percentage of products in the product line.
- Design defect – The defect occurs in the actual design of the product. Unlike a manufacturing defect, which often impacts a limited number of products within a line, a design defect typically affects the entire product line.
The amount of care a manufacturer took in manufacturing or designing a product is irrelevant under a strict liability standard. The manufacturer is liable regardless of how much care it took in the manufacturing or design process.
Under a negligence theory, by contrast, liability can be based on the manufacturer’s failure to exercise reasonable care in the manufacturing or design of the product. The consumer must show that the manufacturer had a duty to exercise care and breached this duty of care. Under both strict liability and negligence standards, the consumer also must show that the product caused injury to hold the defendant liable.
Damages for a Dangerous Product
If you were injured by a dangerous product, you must file your claim in Florida within four years (or two years in the case of wrongful death from the date that the defects where discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. If your claim succeeds, you may recover for your medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, and more. If a dangerous product caused your loved one’s death, you may recover for his or her medical and funeral bills, lost wages, and other damages, such as loss of companionship.
Capable Legal Representation
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, we provide experienced representation to individuals who have been injured by defective products. Our Spring Hill dangerous products attorneys offer effective legal counseling and advocacy to help you assert your right to compensation. We can help you hold a manufacturer accountable for placing defective products on the marketplace. We serve clients in Brooksville, Lutz, and the surrounding counties. Call us today at (866) 597-0009 or complete our online form to schedule a free initial consultation.