More than 300 nursing homes and long-term care facilities throughout Florida have patients or staff who have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to a list released recently by the state. Nursing home residents are particularly vulnerable to the deadly COVID-19, so it is crucial that these facilities take proper precautions to protect residents and workers to limit the potential spread.
Facilities are required to notify all residents, staff members, and families when someone at the facility tests positive for COVID-19. “We have no reason to think that that wasn’t done. We know it was done most of the time, but at the same time, if you have one incident and a week from now they don’t follow through with that, I don’t want to be in a situation where the families don’t know,” Gov. Ron DeSantis said in releasing the list.
Tampa Bay Area Nursing Homes on the List
The list provided by the state included any facility with residents or staff who had been diagnosed with the virus. As of April 26, 1,283 residents had tested positive for COVID-19 and 1,148 staff members had tested positive.
There were no nursing home COVID-19 cases reported in Hernando or Citrus counties. However, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Pasco counties had facilities on the list. These include:
- Allegro in Hillsborough
- Arbor Terrace at Citrus Park in Hillsborough
- Bay Tree Center in Pinellas
- The Bristol at Tampa Rehabilitation and Nursing Center LLC in Hillsborough
- Carrington Place of St. Pete in Pinellas
- Community Convalescent Center in Hillsborough
- Concordia Village of Tampa in Hillsborough
- Consulate Health Care of St. Petersburg in Pinellas
- Freedom Square Rehabilitation & Nursing Services in Pinellas
- Gandy Crossing Care Center in Hillsborough
- Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center in Pinellas
- The Inn at Freedom Square in Pinellas
- The Inn at Lake Seminole Square in Pinellas
- Inspired Living at Tampa in Hillsborough
- Lakeside Oaks Care Center in Pinellas
- Manorcare Health Services Dunedin in Pinellas
- Masonic Home of Florida in Pinellas
- Morton Plant Rehabilitation Center in Pinellas
- Palm Garden of Largo in Pinellas
- Palm Garden of Pinellas
- Palm Garden of Sun City in Hillsborough
- Patrick Manor Inc. in Pinellas
- Pinellas Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Pinellas
- Plaza West in Hillsborough
- Promise Pointe at Tampa Oaks in Hillsborough
- Regal Palms in Pinellas
- Rocky Creek Village in Hillsborough
- Royal Oak Nursing Center in Pasco
- Seminole Pavilion Rehabilitation & Nursing Services in Pinellas
- Shady Palms Retirement Homes Inc. in Hillsborough
- South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center in Pinellas
- St. Mark Village in Pinellas
- Tierra Pines Center in Pinellas
What If a Loved One Is in One of the Infected Homes?
You have a right to know that your loved one is being taken care of and all precautions are being taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the facility. Here are some steps you can take if your family member is in a nursing home right now:
- Ask what steps are being taken to test for COVID-19 and protect residents. Demand details.
- Ask what policies are in place if a staff member begins displaying symptoms.
- Ask what policies are in place if a resident begins displaying symptoms.
- If you cannot visit in person with your loved one, you still have a right to talk on the phone to check on them or do a video call so you can see them.
- If you suspect nursing home negligence during this time, do not hesitate to seek legal advice.
Talk to a Nursing Home Attorney in Florida Today
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, we understand how scary and stressful it is right now to have a loved one in a nursing home. We all want to do everything possible to protect vulnerable family members from COVID-19. If you need advice from a nursing home negligence lawyer in Florida with convenient locations in the Tampa Bay area, please contact us. Our firm provides free consultations, with no obligation to you, so you can understand your legal rights during this difficult time.
Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC is an accident injury law firm that offers top quality legal representation in personal injury matters, with offices located in Lutz and Brooksville, Florida. Our Spring Hill lawyers are dedicated Florida courtroom advocates for injured people.