Rideshare apps like Uber are a convenient and affordable transportation option for many people in Florida, but rideshare drivers are no less prone to accidents than other drivers. If you’ve been injured in an Uber accident in Florida, you should know that these accidents sometimes come with additional complications you do not see in a typical accident. The Florida rideshare car accident lawyers at the Holliday Karatinos Law Firm have provided some helpful information on Uber accidents and what to do if you are involved in a crash.
What is Uber?
Uber is one of several popular ridesharing platforms that have sprung up around the country in recent years. Anyone needing a ride can download the Uber app to their smartphone and request a pickup from a driver in their area. All monetary transactions are done via the app. Drivers are given a star rating by patrons after providing their services. Uber Eats is another division of Uber that delivers food to people via the app.
Types of Uber Vehicles
There are several different types of services available through Uber. From least expensive to most expensive, the five levels of Uber vehicles are:
- UberPOOL — Like sharing a taxi with someone, an UberPOOL ride involves two or more customers sharing a ride and splitting the cost.
- UberX — UberX is the standard type of ride the service provides. Up to four passengers can ride in an UberX vehicle. These vehicles are typically some type of sedan or similar vehicle.
- UberXL — Larger groups or those who need more room can request an UberXL. UberXL vehicles may include minivans or SUVs. Up to six passengers can ride together.
- UberSelect — Passengers who want a bit more luxury can request an UberSelect. Up to four passengers can ride together. Every UberSelect vehicle is certified by Uber to have vinyl or leather seats with no tears or rips.
- UberBlack — Those who want a true luxury experience through Uber can opt for UberBlack. UberBlack drivers are required to use a black luxury vehicle, as well as hold a commercial driver’s license and commercial insurance. Finally, an UberBlack driver must have a rating of 4.85 stars or higher to qualify.
Insurance Challenges with Ridesharing
Sorting out the insurance issues after an Uber accident in Florida can be a challenge. Uber provides up to $1 million in coverage for their drivers, but that insurance only applies when the driver is logged into the app and has accepted a fare.
Florida’s no-fault insurance laws can make it difficult to file a Lyft or Uber lawsuit. A rideshare accident attorney can help you work around the no-fault insurance process to claim the compensation you need.
An emerging legal issue is how to determine liability when a self-driving accident occurs since Uber is actively investing and rolling out self-driving vehicles in multiple markets.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
Here are the key steps to take if you are involved in an Uber accident in Florida:
- Call 911 and report the accident to the police.
- Get the names of all the drivers involved and their insurance information. Be sure to get the Uber driver’s company insurance information as well.
- Use your phone to take pictures and document the accident as best you can.
- Seek medical treatment right away and save your medical records.
- Do not give any recorded statements to insurance companies until you have spoken to an attorney.
- Talk to a rideshare accident attorney as soon as you can.
How Our Lutz Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Before you can seek compensation for your injuries after an Uber accident, you need to determine who is liable and if you are eligible to file a claim under Florida’s insurance laws. An attorney can help with this, as we know Florida’s insurance laws and how they apply to rideshare accidents. We can also ensure that your claim is filed within the applicable statute of limitations.
Once we have determined if you have a viable case, we can start gathering evidence to support your claim and document your injuries. From there, we can file an insurance claim against the liable party or parties to help you recover fair compensation for your injuries. If a reasonable settlement cannot be reached, we are fully prepared to defend your rights by taking your case to trial.
If you still have questions about rideshare accidents in Florida, contact the trusted team at the Holliday Karatinos Law Firm today for a free initial consultation with a knowledgeable Brooksville car accident lawyer.
Jim Holliday has recovered millions of dollars for his clients in restitution for their injuries.