A serious accident can leave you injured, struggling, and wondering how you’ll get by. Personal injuries can permanently upend our lives, and they can take away important resources like income that we need to function from day to day. When a personal injury leaves you with medical bills, pain, and emotional suffering, you have the right to file a civil action to recover compensation. It’s unfortunate, but it happens every day. When it does happen, you may already know that you’ll need compensation, but how do you get it? When insurance doesn’t apply or won’t offer a fair settlement, filing a personal injury claim may be your best option to fair compensation. Unfortunately, without experienced legal representation and assistance, it’s possible to lose some or all of the compensation you’re owed. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence you owe it to yourself to explore all your legal options. The personal injury lawyers of Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, can offer the guidance you need as well as the skill and knowledge that comes from more than 50 years of combined legal experience.
We are a small law firm, which allows us to give close attention to every one of our clients. At the same time, we have the resources to take on the most challenging cases. Since 2006, we have recovered more than $95 million on behalf of our clients. We can put that experience to work for you today.
To learn more, contact us today for a review of your case. Our Brooksville office is conveniently located in the H&K Building on Cortez Boulevard, which is accessible from Wiscon Road. We never charge for consultations, and we only get paid if you do.
We Provide The Following Services
Our attorneys – Jim Holliday and Ted Karatinos – have years of experience with fighting for the rights of injury victims and their families. Their background allows our lawn firm to handle a wide range of personal injury and wrongful death cases, including:
- Car accidents – If you have been hurt because of someone else’s distracted driving, drunk driving or just plain careless driving, you deserve top notch service and aggressive legal representation. You should never accept a settlement from the insurance company until you meet with a lawyer first.
- Truck accidents – Tractor-trailer accidents are not the same as car accidents. These cases require prompt investigation, and they may involve taking on numerous defendants. Additionally, a lawyer should have a strong understanding of the state and federal regulations that govern the trucking industry.
- Motorcycle accidents – Too many collisions between motorcyclists and vehicle drivers occur because of drivers’ failure to safely share the road. We know the common driver errors that lead to these crashes, and we aggressively protect the rights of injured motorcycle riders and passengers.
- Pedestrian and bicyclist accidents – Without the protection of an enclosed vehicle, pedestrians and bicyclists are often the victims of fatal and tragic crashes. Many drivers just don’t see them and have no respect for them on the road. We purse full and fair compensation for pedestrians and bicyclists who are harmed by careless drivers.
- Premises liability – Our firm fights for compensation for those who are injured on other people’s property due to negligent maintenance, poorly constructed or repaired property features and other hidden dangers. We also work with those who have been harmed due to a property owner’s failure to provide adequate security against foreseeable risks of harm such as robbery or assault.
- Defective products – If you are injured due to a defective product (including vehicles, vehicle parts, medications, toys, tools, or even medical devices or implants), we can help you. We have the resources to take on manufacturers of defective and dangerous products.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – This type of injury causes many deaths and disabling conditions each and every year. TBI victims may need extensive physical rehabilitation and may be unable to support themselves or their family financially because of it.
Our attorneys will launch an immediate investigation of your case. We will leverage the evidence that we collect and analyze to seek a settlement of your claim or to pursue justice on your behalf in the courtroom. Every case is unique. We know that every client’s goals will be different. It is important to us that your wishes take priority throughout the process.
What Happens if Your Personal Injury Case Goes to Trial?
We resolve most of our clients’ cases through settlements. Our hard work and preparation makes a difference when we meet with insurance companies. However, in some cases, the insurance company may refuse to accept liability or make a reasonable settlement offer, and a trial may be necessary.
Typically, personal injury claims must be litigated in state court. For instance, if you were hurt in an auto accident our law firm likely would pursue a lawsuit in the Fifth Judicial Circuit Court at the Hernando County Courthouse, which is located at 20 North Main Street in downtown Brooksville. If your case is appealed for any reason, it would go up to the next level, which is the appellate court. In our region, your case would be heard by the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Daytona Beach.
Some cases end up in federal court. This does not mean the case is more important or has a higher value. Many multi-million-dollar cases are resolved in Circuit Court. However, federal courts have exclusive jurisdiction to hear certain types of cases such as those which involve lawsuits against a federal agency or plaintiffs and defendants from different states. The U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida in Tampa serves our region.
What Should You Do After an Auto Accident?
If you suffer injuries in an accident of any kind in Brooksville, you should take these steps to protect your health and legal rights:
- Get emergency medical attention. If you are involved in a car accident, you must get medical care within 14 days to preserve your no-fault claim under your personal injury protection (PIP) insurance policy. It also just makes good sense to get care right away after an accident. A timely diagnosis will document your injuries and prevent the insurance company from claiming that your injuries are not related to your accident.
- Report the crash to your insurance carrier. Under your auto insurance contract, you likely will have to report the collision to your insurance carrier to protect your right to compensation. For workplace injuries or accidents like slip and falls, you need to report your injury to the property owner or a manager of the facility. Make sure to get a copy of your written report.
- Keep all your evidence. Gather and store all medical bills, accident-related receipts, notes, numbers, names, photos and videos, and other relevant information. You will probably need it at some point.
- Order a copy of your crash report. Always get a copy of any official report that is generated. For car crash reports, you can request them online through the Florida Highway Patrol or go directly to the local law enforcement agency that responded to your crash such as the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office. If you were hurt at a store or other commercial building, you should check on whether an incident report was filed.
- Don’t talk to insurance companies without your lawyer. You should never speak to the insurance company without talking to your lawyer first. Specifically, you should not give a recorded statement or accept a settlement offer without input from your attorney.
Our Injury Attorneys Are Here to Help You
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, we never charge a fee for a consultation, and we only get paid if we can recover money for our clients. So, you truly have nothing to lose. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.