Big SUVs offer a lot of convenient benefits. They may make it easier to transport large quantities of cargo or large numbers of people. However, SUVs can also have a marked disadvantage: they may have a higher risk of rolling over due to the higher weight at the top of the vehicle. As a result, drivers and passengers in SUVs can suffer greater injuries in the event of an accident.
If you suffered injuries in a Florida SUV rollover accident, our SUV rollover accident lawyers at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm can help you learn more about your right to compensation. Contact us at (813) 868-1887 to learn more.
Holliday Karatinos Law Firm: Help for Florida SUV Rollover Accident Victims
When you suffer serious injuries due to the negligence of another party, whether it’s the negligence of an SUV manufacturer or the negligence of another driver on the road, you may have the right to compensation for those losses. At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, we have more than 50 years of collective experience helping injured people throughout Florida as they fight for the compensation they deserve.
WE MAKE YOUR CLAIM A PERSONAL COMMITMENT FOR OUR ATTORNEYS
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, we understand the many difficulties that can go into a rollover accident claim. You may end up fighting to prove that the SUV manufacturer negligently put out a top-heavy vehicle that rolled too easily, leading to your injuries, or that the party that caused your car accident committed an act of negligence on the road. As we fight on your behalf, we make every step of that claim a personal commitment.
WE OFFER RESPECT AND COMPASSION TO EVERY CLIENT
When you have serious injuries from an SUV rollover accident, you may feel as though no one wants to take you seriously. The insurance company may seem determined to reduce the compensation it has to pay out to you as much as possible. The SUV manufacturer may insist that the SUV met all possible safety standards, even though it obviously rolled over in a situation where a lower vehicle might have maintained its center of gravity.
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, you can count on receiving the support you need, including compassion and respect, as you deal with your claim.
WE CAN TAKE ON ANY CASE, NO MATTER THE SIZE
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, we believe that every accident victim deserves legal representation that can help guide them through the claim process and provide them with comprehensive support, regardless of the size of the claim. We can help take on small claims with relatively minor injuries. We also have the resources necessary to go up against the big SUV manufacturers or the big names in auto insurance.
Do you need to file an injury claim after an SUV rollover accident in Florida? Whether your accident occurred down I-95 near Daytona Beach or on I-75 as you crossed the Georgia state line, Holliday Karatinos Law Firm has the resources you need to move forward with that claim. Contact us to discuss your right to compensation after an SUV rollover accident.
Understanding SUV Rollover Accidents in Florida
Every year, around 500 accidents occur because of an overturn or rollover that caused the vehicle involved in the accident to depart from its lane.
SUV rollover accidents can occur for several reasons.
- High rates of speed. A speeding driver may have a much greater risk of causing a rollover accident than a driver traveling at a reasonable rate of speed down the same stretch of road.
- The wheels falling off the road. In cases where you may have an abrupt drop off of the road, drivers may have a greater overall risk of a rollover collision.
- Overloading the vehicle, especially if it is top-heavy. For example, using the rack on top of an SUV for cargo storage may increase the risk that the vehicle will roll over in an accident.
- Aggressive driving. Aggressive driving habits may significantly increase the risk of a rollover accident on the streets of Florida.
- Distracted driving. A distracted driver may have a greater risk, in general, of causing many types of accidents, including a rollover accident.
- Intoxicated driving. An intoxicated driver may pose a much greater risk to everyone who shares the road with him and may engage in some potentially dangerous behaviors.
Rollover accidents may occur more frequently on dangerous stretches of road like I-95 or I-4, where faster speeds and heavy traffic can make it more likely that a driver will end up involved in a devastating SUV accident.
WHY SUVS INCREASE THE RISK OF A ROLLOVER ACCIDENT?
SUVs have greater rollover potential than other, smaller passenger vehicles.
- They have a higher center of gravity. SUVs often sit higher off the ground than the average passenger vehicle, meaning they have a greater risk of rolling in an accident.
- SUVs are often top-heavy. Not only do they have that high center of gravity, but they may also have more weight at the top. Some SUVs may also have designs that encourage putting cargo at the top of the vehicle.
- Higher design can make SUVs more unstable in high wind conditions. Since they have a larger overall surface area, SUVs may take a bigger hit from the wind. Florida can see many high-wind days, particularly during hurricane season.
Driving an SUV can significantly increase rollover risk for many Florida residents. Unfortunately, that increased rollover risk may shock some drivers, who may think of the SUV as just another passenger vehicle. Many SUV manufacturers may also fail to issue proper warnings about the dangers that can go along with driving an SUV, which may increase the risk that those drivers will end up involved in a dangerous rollover accident.
Compensation After an SUV Rollover Accident in Florida
Following an SUV accident in Florida, many clients find themselves wondering how much compensation they can acquire for those damages. The compensation you can recover may depend on several factors, including how your accident occurred. At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, we look at several key elements to determine what compensation our clients might deserve and expect.
1. WHAT CAUSED YOUR FLORIDA SUV ROLLOVER ACCIDENT?
First, we will evaluate what likely caused or contributed to your SUV rollover accident. Often, rollover accidents occur because of some type of driver fault, including the error of another driver that shared the road with you at the time of the accident. In other cases, your rollover accident may have resulted from the negligence of the SUV creator.
At Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, we want to take a comprehensive look at all the factors that may have contributed to your Florida rollover accident so that we can get a better idea of who you need to pursue compensation from.
The party that caused your accident will likely carry an insurance policy that provides compensation for those damages. That insurance policy may determine what compensation you can pursue for your injuries.
2. WHAT INJURIES DID YOUR FLORIDA SUV ROLLOVER ACCIDENT CAUSE?
The injuries you sustained can significantly impact the compensation you can recover. The more severe your injuries, the more compensation you might have the right to recover for those damages.
In cases where you sustained severe injuries and had equally high medical bills, you might have the right to recover more compensation than you would after an accident involving only minor injuries. Remember that you will need to use your PIP insurance to cover the initial cost of medical treatment.
3. HOW MUCH TIME DID YOU HAVE TO MISS AT WORK AFTER YOUR ROLLOVER ACCIDENT?
Lost time at work can add up to much lost income, especially if you have sustained severe injuries that will keep you out of work for a long time. Talk to your lawyer about what hours you missed at work and how those lost hours can impact you as you pursue compensation for your injuries.
4. WHAT SUFFERING DID YOU FACE BECAUSE OF YOUR ROLLOVER ACCIDENT?
A lawyer can help you determine how to best include compensation for your pain and suffering as part of your Florida SUV rollover accident claim. Discuss your losses, including emotional distress, impact on your relationships, and more.
5. YOU HAVE A LAWYER HELPING WITH YOUR SUV ROLLOVER ACCIDENT CLAIM?
Having a lawyer on your side can make a huge difference in the compensation you ultimately recover after your rollover accident. A lawyer can help identify all the areas in which you might deserve compensation after your accident and fight to help you recover it.
Florida SUV Rollover Accident FAQ
DOES THE SUV MANUFACTURER BEAR LIABILITY IF I HAD A ROLLOVER ACCIDENT AFTER MY WHEELS SLIPPED OFF THE PAVEMENT OR I TURNED TOO HARD?
Sometimes, rollover accidents can occur as a result of driver error, especially in cases where the driver may not realize the potential challenges of driving an SUV. In cases where your own negligence causes a rollover accident, the SUV manufacturer might not bear liability for the rollover.
On the other hand, in some cases, a dangerous design on an SUV can considerably increase the risk of a rollover collision, even in cases where the driver might not otherwise have suffered an accident. A lawyer can help determine whether the SUV manufacturer may share liability for your rollover accident.
DOES THE LIABLE PARTY IN MY FLORIDA SUV ROLLOVER ACCIDENT HAVE TO PAY FOR MY MEDICAL BILLS?
As the person who received medical care after a Florida SUV rollover accident, you will need to figure out how to cover the cost of medical treatment for those injuries.
However, you may have several options for covering the cost of medical treatment.
- Start with your PIP coverage. In Florida, all drivers must carry PIP insurance to help protect them in the event of an accident. PIP insurance covers the initial cost of medical treatment after an accident.
- Use your medical insurance. In many cases, personal medical insurance can make a big difference in overall coverage after a rollover accident.
- Talk to a lawyer about your right to file an injury claim. In general, you can only file an injury claim after an SUV accident if your medical costs exceed the protection offered by your PIP insurance or you will suffer permanent disability because of your SUV accident. Talk to a lawyer to learn more about your specific rights.
An injury claim can provide you with compensation for the losses that may have gone along with your medical bills and other needs after an SUV rollover accident in Florida. However, it does not require the party that caused your accident to pay your medical bills directly.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THE SUV MANUFACTURER BEARS LIABILITY FOR MY SUV ROLLOVER ACCIDENT?
SUV manufacturers may bear liability for negligent design choices that increase the risk of a rollover accident. Some features, including roll bars, can help protect passengers and provide a heightened level of safety in the event of an accident. If the manufacturer does not install features that could help with safety, and the lack of those features contributed to your accident, you may have the right to pursue compensation from the manufacturer.
If you have questions about whether you may have the right to pursue compensation through the SUV manufacturer for the damages you sustained, consult a lawyer about your specific case.
Contact a Florida SUV Rollover Accident Lawyer
When you suffer injuries in a Florida SUV rollover accident, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer in Florida that can help guide you through the claim process and provide you with essential information about how you can protect your right to compensation.
Contact Holliday Karatinos Law Firm today at (352) 597-0009 for your free consultation.