If you were hurt due to an unsafe environment or dangerous condition on someone else’s property, you may be facing serious medical expenses and missing time from work. If this is the case, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your losses through a premises liability claim.
Premises liability cases can encompass a wide variety of incidents, but some of the most common are slips, trips, and falls; negligent security; defective conditions; fires or flooding; elevator accidents; dog bites; and swimming pool accidents.
Lutz Premises Liabilty Lawyer
The Lutz personal injury attorneys of Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, have extensive experience helping injured people hold negligent property owners or managers accountable for their actions or inaction. We provide our clients the personalized attention of a small firm with the vast resources of a large firm that is capable of handling any type of premises liability case.
Because there are so many factors at play when it comes to a premises liability claim, it is critical for victims to hire a legal team with experience handling these specific types of claims. Turn to a lawyer who knows how to investigate the accident, obtain the evidence needed to prove your claim, and fight for the full compensation you are owed.
If you or someone you love was injured as a result of a property owner’s negligence or carelessness, contact Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC today at (866) 364- 9529 to discuss your case with a knowledgeable Lutz premises liability lawyer for free.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Premises Liability Case?
To prove negligence in a premises liability case, you must show that:
- The defendant owned, leased, lived in, or controlled the property at the time of the accident, and the defendant owed a duty of care to you.
- The defendant failed to exercise the proper level of care in keeping the premises safe. You must demonstrate that the defendant was negligent in the use, maintenance, or operation of the property or that the defendant neglected to warn you of dangerous conditions on the property.
- You (the plaintiff) must prove that this failure to maintain a reasonable level of safety was the cause of your injury. For example, in the case of a slip and fall, you must be able to show that it was the liquid spill on the floor that caused you to lose your footing, and the resulting fall was the reason for your injuries.
- You must also prove that you have suffered damages as a result of your injuries.
An experienced Lutz premises liability attorney will want to begin gathering the evidence you need to prove your case immediately. When you act quickly, eyewitness accounts may still be available and evidence is less likely to have been damaged, lost, destroyed, fixed, or cleaned up.
There is also a time limit for filing a premises liability claim. In Florida, you have four years from the date of the incident to file an injury claim in most cases. If you’ve been hurt on someone else’s property, contact the trial lawyers at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm to discuss your rights immediately.
Examples of Premises Liability Claims
Property owners have a duty to maintain the safety of their land and buildings for authorized visitors. Some common premises liability claims include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents — Falls are the leading cause of injuries and deaths in older adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with 1 in 5 falls leading to serious injuries, such as a broken bone or head injury. These accidents are especially likely in unsafe environments and are the second-leading cause of death worldwide.
- Pool Injuries — The CDC warns that every day, about 10 people die from unintentional drownings, and two of these are children age 14 or younger. The riskiest body of water for children is the backyard pool. Drowning is the fifth-leading cause of unintentional injury death in the United States.
- Dog Bites — Depending on the severity of the wounds, dog bite survivors could require tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in specialized medical treatments, such as skin grafts that may necessitate multiple procedures. They are also at risk for serious infections.
- Amusement Park Injuries — Falling, being thrown from, and suffering back, head, and neck injuries are common on rides that bump, spin, or whip around. A claim may be filed against the owner, ride operator, maintenance company, or another responsible party if they were negligent in maintaining or operating the ride or the grounds of an amusement park.
- Negligent Hotel Security — If a hotel guest is injured by a third party on hotel property, the victim may be able to hold the owner or business operator liable for the injuries. The hotel may have neglected to take adequate security precautions in areas where certain crimes are foreseeable. Poor lighting or broken locks on doors and windows, for example, are evidence of an owner or operator’s negligence.
Our premises liability lawyers in Lutz have extensive experience handling these types of complex personal injury cases, and we won’t back down from a fight. We’ll see to it that your rights are protected and demand maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Common Causes of Premises Liability Injuries
Many different property hazards could cause injuries, but some are more common than others in premises liability cases, including:
- Water left on walkways
- Insufficient lighting
- Lack of railings and grab bars
- Poor construction or electrical wiring
- Defective or shoddy materials
- Torn or ripped carpet
- Building code violations
- Inadequate security measures
Your attorney will investigate the exact cause of your injury and help you fully calculate your losses in order to make a claim against the property owner’s insurance company. You may be entitled to payment for current and future medical expenses, lost wages, reduced future earning capacity, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Contact Our Lutz Premises Liability Attorneys for Help Today
With over 50 years of combined experience helping injured people in Lutz and across the state of Florida, the premises liability lawyers at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC, will negotiate and litigate your case with the goal of securing the maximum possible compensation for you. Our extensive courtroom experience will give you peace of mind that your case is in good hands and allow you to focus your energy on healing from your injuries.
Holding a negligent property owner accountable makes the community safer for everyone and may prevent others from suffering similar injuries. Our lawyers serve clients in Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus counties. Call us today at (866) 364- 9529 to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled premises liability lawyers.